DuPont Position Statement on Bio-Persistent Materials
DuPont Leadership Principles Regarding Bio-Persistent Materials
As a science company, DuPont will be a leader in understanding, addressing and advancing new knowledge on health benefits, risk and exposure to materials we use or sell that are biopersistent* in the environment. We believe external input is important to ensure that the right questions are asked, and that appropriate guidance is developed and applied globally.
The DuPont Commitment to Safety, Health and the Environment states:
- We will extract, make, use, handle, package, transport and dispose of our materials safely and in an environmentally responsible manner.
- We will continuously analyze and improve our practices, processes and products to reduce their risk and impact throughout the product life cycle.We will develop new products and processes that have increasing margins of safety for both human health and the environment.
- We will work with our suppliers, carriers, distributors and customers to achieve similar product stewardship, and we will provide information and assistance to support their efforts to do so.
- We will promote open discussion with our stakeholders about the materials we make, use and transport and the impacts of our activities on their safety, health and environment.
- We will build alliances with governments, policy makers, businesses and advocacy groups to develop sound policies, laws, regulations and practices to improve safety, health and the environment.
Where a DuPont material (including by-products and breakdown products) is determined to be biopersistent in the environment, and where there is not general consensus that the material can be extracted, made, used, handled, packaged, transported and disposed of safely, we will take the following actions:
- We will work to understand the potential exposure, hazards and environmental fate of the material and conduct a risk assessment. Our priority will be on those DuPont materials found in the human body.
- Where we develop a formal science-based risk assessment, we will ensure that the risk assessment report is peer-reviewed and/or independently verified, and make this information available to the public. We will look to partner with external third parties.
- We will take aggressive steps to reduce emissions and minimize exposure where there is reasonable uncertainty about the safety of the material based on the risk assessment. We will support the generation of new knowledge in an efficient and transparent manner to address these uncertainties.
- We will seek external input to ensure we are asking the right questions, and will apply guidance globally.
* biopersistence is the persistence of a chemical in an organism and is usually measured or estimated in plants and animals, including humans.