Jounce Bumper Application Profile
A jounce bumper is part of a vehicle’s shock-absorber system designed to absorb impact and dampen noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Features and benefits:
• Cost savings, in particular through the adoption of Ossberger process manufacturing and a thermoplastic design including multifunctional integration as a dust cover;
• Constant deflection at high loads, even when subjected to various ageing conditions including fatigue tests;
• No significant lateral expansion under compression stress. No need of saturation cup;
• Excellent performance at very low temperature, even under wet conditions. Non-significant moisture absorption;
• Durable fastening;
And keeping usual features of automotive jounce bumper:
• Low compression set;
• High energy absorption with progressive response;
• Low impact noise;
• High abrasion resistance;
• High chemical resistance (ozone, oils, greases, aliphatic hydrocarbons, hydrolysis, zinc chloride, etc.);
Unique Blow-molding design:
DuPont has patented a Jounce Bumper design made in Hytrel® allowing a significant cost reduction to replace incumbent foam polyurethane (PUR).
Using non-linear Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Expert System software developed by DuPont, the Jounce Bumper design can be tailored to specific OEM/vehicle static and dynamic requirements of the OEM.
Hytrel® provides stiffness, elasticity and durability required for this application.
DuPont Inclusive Application Development
DuPont can support and collaborate with OEMs, Tier 1 suppliers and molders at all stages of the development phases.
This support includes:
• Design using FEA techniques and specialist software
• Processing, including rapid prototyping
• Laboratory testing at the DuPont European Technical Center
• Vehicle road tests, with an independent automotive dynamic analysis road center:
DuPont can evaluate and optimize the Jounce Bumper design based on vehicle road tests according to multiple criteria and driving conditions.