As the market grows for hybrid-powered and electric vehicle technology, materials play an ever more important role to help reduce carbon emissions and dependence on petroleum.
DuPont Automotive has the broadest range of high-performance materials, polymer science capabilities, and application knowledge to help automakers quickly develop more efficient, safer, lighter hybrid and electric vehicles.
The Benefits of Using DuPont Materials in Electric Vehicle Technology
Energy Density and Power
- Help boost kilowatt-per-hour and power capabilities with improved battery chemistries and materials for critical binders, and with DuPont™ Energain™ battery separators.
- Prevent electrical discharge with improved insulation systems that draw from the broadest array of material choices.
Weight and Packaging
- Reduce weight up to 40% using plastics instead of aluminum and steel.
- Use high-performance polymers and elastomers to integrate components and functions — this miniaturization reduces space and improves packaging.
- Help provide stability at high temperatures with DuPont™ Energain™ battery separators for high-performance lithium ion batteries.
- Protect batteries with new materials that offer higher voltage performance, reduced flammability electrolyte technology, high-temperature-stability separators, and electrode materials to reduce battery heating.
- Improve battery pack performance with flame-retardant and thermoplastic materials.
- Prevent electrical arcs and sparks in connectors with USCAR-rated thermoplastic materials that meet 650-volt system requirements.
“Sweet Spot” Operating Temperature
- Maintain “sweet spot” operating temperatures (0° to 55°C) while protecting against highs and lows (–40° to 120 °C) with thermal management materials that resist exposure to coolant and automatic transmission fluid.
Where to Use DuPont Materials in Electric Vehicle Technology
Battery Pack Structures
- Our flame-retardant plastics help meet emerging safety requirements.
- Our dimensionally stable and impact-resistant resins can improve crashworthiness.
- For liquid-cooled pack systems, DuPont plastics provide excellent coolant resistance.
Battery Pack Cells
- DuPont™ Energain™ battery separators for high-performance lithium ion batteries can help boost power by 15%–30% and provide stability at high temperatures, so drivers may reach their desired speed more quickly and safely, and drive longer on a single charge.
- Materials designed specifically for automotive traction applications include paper made with DuPont™ Nomex® fiber , DuPont™ Kapton® polyimide films, DuPont™ Voltatex® VS wire enamels and DuPont™ Voltatex® resins and varnishes.
- Our unmatched portfolio for electrical insulation includes resins, paper laminates and polyimide films which carefully isolate wires and components and increase protection inside a harsh vehicle operating environment.
Thermal Management Systems
- Our high-performance plastics provide excellent heat aging, coolant and ATF resistance to optimize operating temperatures while reducing mass up to 40%.
- Ultra-thin DuPont™ Kapton® polyimide films are under development, which may lead to even higher temperature operation, if needed.
Connectors and Cable Jacketing
- Our “electrically friendly” resins are flame-retardant, V-0, U- rated nylon/PPA products with CTI above 600 volts.
- Our PBTs are hydrolysis- resistant and USCAR Class IV-capable.
- DuPont™ Vamac® AEM elastomer is designed for high-energy cable insulation.
Working with DuPont’s global development team to identify the right electric vehicle technology materials for their designs, automakers can build hybrid and electric vehicles that meet consumer and environmental needs.