Consumer Packaging that Increases Sales and Lowers Costs
Using DuPont™ Surlyn® for see-through skin and stretch packaging films is a cost-effective way to enhance product shelf appeal and reduce weight.
Skin and stretch packaging films made from DuPont™ Surlyn® are lightweight, cost-effective alternatives to clamshell and blister consumer packaging. The high gloss and clarity of films produced from Surlyn® lets products shine through the packaging, enhancing appeal, which can lead to increased sales.
Used in skin and stretch packaging (Stretch Pak) films, DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resin also helps reduce material usage, without sacrificing performance.
Design Options for More Sales Potential
Stretch Pak films made with Surlyn® provide several carded display options that allow consumers to see the product from different angles, increasing their potential to buy:
- One-Sided Frame View: Similar to surface-seal blister or skin packages, the opening can conform to the product’s shape, or be designed as a generic shape. Ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.
- See-Through Frame View: The product “floats” in the middle of the card, so that it can be seen from either side. Also ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.
- Two-Sided Stand-Up: Replacing standing fold-over blister and clamshell packages, this design provides superior standing performance, and prevents the product from moving within the package. Ideal for incorporating promotional items.
Versatile Performance, Increased Productivity
Surlyn® offers many consumer packaging benefits, including:
- Light Weight: Surlyn® decreases packaging weight, and helps reduce material usage.
- Reliable Protection: Its toughness and abrasion resistance minimizes damage during shipping and in-store handling, and offers tamper evidence.
- Outstanding Transparency: Surlyn® imparts brightness to both matte and semi-gloss printed boards.
- Tamper Resistance: Films made with Surlyn® are highly resistant to tampering. It is very difficult to remove the product from its package without leaving obvious signs that the package was compromised.
- Superior Puncture and Abrasion Resistance: Films made of Surlyn® are not easily punctured by pointed objects and sharp edges, and they shrink tightly to conform to even the most oddly shaped products.
- Excellent Resistance to Board Curl: Compared to LDPE, Surlyn® eliminates unsightly board curl and prevents objects from being deformed.
- Resistance to Chemicals and Aging: Films made with Surlyn® are resistant to grease and oil and do not become brittle with age, even when packaging the heaviest products.
- Excellent Adhesion to Primed and Non-Primed Board: Surlyn® provides outstanding adhesion to primed board and, when used with Bynel® adhesive resin, non-primed board.
- Faster Processing: Surlyn® absorbs infrared heat at about twice the rate of PE, allowing around 40% more packaging cycles in the same time frame.
- Streamlined Production: Products can be packaged in single or multiple units, or in a premium version, without interfering with production.
Skin Packaging Applications
For skin packaging applications, Surlyn® can conform to the shape of almost any product, no matter how unusual. It provides excellent transparency, quick absorption of infrared heat, and deep drawability. Its high melt strength allows use of thinner gauges, and it does not get brittle with age or exposure to extreme cold. On the production front, Surlyn® allows for short cycles with lower energy requirements.
Customized Packaging Solutions
DuPont works with packaging converters, equipment manufacturers, brand owners, and retailers to create consumer packaging for all kinds of consumer products, including cosmetics, kitchen and office supplies, and hardware.
Skin and stretch packaging films made with Surlyn® offer significant weight and volume reduction, compared to traditional rigid blister or clamshell packs. Because of its outstanding toughness and formability, Surlyn® makes downgauging easier, helping reduce packaging volume during transit. And, by using less film overall, consumer packaging manufacturers can reduce their source material usage.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
DuPont™ Surlyn® sealant resin provides excellent clarity, hot tack, heat seal, and toughness for packaging a variety of foods, as well as pharmaceuticals, household cleaners, and personal care products.
DuPont™ Surlyn® PC injection molding resin and unique Surlyn® 3D overmolding technology offer glass-like clarity and unparalleled design freedom for rigid cosmetic jars and perfume bottles.
DuPont™ Elvaloy® for polymer modification is used to improve toughness in CPET and APET trays for frozen and refrigerated ready-to-eat meals, as a PVC plasticizer and as a compatibilizer in PET/HDPE recycling.
DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resins are used as a material in the golf ball core, cover and mantle of balls from nearly all major ball makers.
DuPont™ Surlyn® blow molding resins provide high gloss, scratch resistance, pleasant touch, and squeezability to cosmetic bottles and transparent tottles for lip gloss.
DuPont™ Surlyn® extrusion resin provides toughness, durability, and abrasion and chemical resistance for demanding applications, including shock tubes for mining and construction to snowshoes and wake/bodyboards.
DuPont™ Surlyn® for thermoforming film provides excellent clarity and formability, making it a cost-effective solution for sterilized medical device packaging.
DuPont™ Nucrel® AE for LDPE extrusion coating improves foil adhesion when used as an LDPE modifier in pouches and sachets for food oils, snacks, and non-food products.
DuPont™ Nucrel® resin acts as a foil adhesive and heat sealant for beverage packaging, condiment and spice oil sachets, as well as non-food products including toothpaste tubes and cable shielding.
DuPont™ Elvax® packaging resins provide toughness, flexibility, and clarity for snack, cheese, cereal, meat, poultry, and liquid packaging, as well as for some medical applications.
Surlyn® Reflections high gloss resin is a thermoplastic alloy made up of ionomer and polyamide, enabling manufacturers to mold tough and durable, high-gloss parts that require no painting.
DuPont™ Entira™ is a family of resin additives and modifiers used to improve performance of other plastics, often enabling significant gains in manufacturing productivity or finished goods performance.
DuPont™ Purge Resin is a fractional melt index low density polyethylene purge compound that contains various additives to assist in purging and cleaning extruders.
Toolmaker Greenfield Industries meets retailer demand for space-saving skin packaging by using DuPont™ Surlyn® and high-speed packaging equipment.
Coldpack’s Airliner thermally insulated pouch is a foam packaging alternative for shipping temperature-sensitive products, made with three DuPont resins.
Gaplast GmbH uses DuPont™ Surlyn® in its innovative bag-in-bottle for fragrance packaging to increase product purity and support greater design freedom.
DuPont™ 20 series resins are proven for use in unit dose packaging for medications used for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma and listed in FDA Drug Master Files.
French ceramic container maker Poteries Malicornaises uses DuPont™ Nucrel® in ceramic packaging to successfully seal and protect ready-to-eat meals.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
DuPont innovations help manufacturers and designers create cost-effective, environmentally friendly packaging solutions.
DuPont collaborates with customers on efficient packaging that protects products by developing optimal packaging that maximizes effectiveness and environmental efficiency.
DuPont has a proven history of driving practical, scalable solutions for sustainable packaging based on full life cycle assessment and business-driven collaboration with customers worldwide.
DuPont works with converters and brand owners to develop energy saving packaging solutions, from making production and shipping more efficient to reducing power costs.
DuPont™ Surlyn® delivers the strength, stiffness, and extrudability film converters require for packaging downgauging and to optimize use of petroleum-based materials.