Moisture Management in Commercial Building Enclosure - Two
Provider: DuPont Building Innovations
Length: 2 hour
Program #: Moisture 2
Credits: 2 LU Hour
Program: Moisture Management in Commercial Building Enclosure 2
Moisture is the most significant factor in the premature deterioration of buildings. The most common contributing factors to moisture problems in buildings include:
- Lack of understanding of building science principles
- Design related factors, e.g., lack of sufficient details in the drawings
- Installation related factors, e.g., improper materials substitutions, lack of installer training, and lack of inspection during construction
The first part of this seminar will review the moisture sources in buildings, moisture transport mechanisms, and moisture control strategies. Special emphasis is given to rain penetration which is the leading cause of water problems in walls. The building science principles behind the moisture-control strategies are also addressed.
The second part will review the common air and water barriers, how to specify the best system for a durable building envelope, how to avoid typical installation mistakes and the importance of redundancy in building envelope design. Proper detailing of the window-wall interface is also addressed, with specific examples.
Learning Objectives: After attending this seminar, you will be able to understand
- The impact and potential liabilities of moisture intrusion.
- Moisture sources, transport mechanisms and control strategies (The Moisture Barriers).
- The difference between Air and Vapor Barriers.
- Typical installation mistakes and the importance of redundancy in commercial building envelope design.
- Specifying and detailing durable building envelopes.
- Window flashing details and best practices for water management
Target Audience: Architects, Design Professionals, Specifiers, Owners, Contractors, Code Officials, Building Envelope Consultants, and Students. This program meets every experience level with time designed into the program for questions and answers.