The AIA Continuing Education System - Choices of Air Barriers for Commercial Building Enclosures
Provider: DuPont™ Tyvek® Building Envelope Systems
Program #: MRH1
Program Name: Managing Radiant Heat in Buildings
Length: 1 hour
Credits: 1 LU Hour
The purpose of this seminar is to briefly review the impact of air leakage on building enclosure performance and to describe different types of air barrier systems for air leakage control. The seminar is organized in two sections:
- The first section is a brief review of air leakage impact on building enclosure performance and the importance of air leakage control.
- The second section provides a description of the main types of air barrier membranes for commercial building enclosure: mechanically fastened or building wraps, fluid applied (FA), and self-adhered (SA) or peel-and-stick. Other air barrier types such as Sprayed Polyurethane Foams (SPF) will also be reviewed. A brief description, examples of products and manufacturers, typical properties, application methods, system components and advantages & limitations will be discussed for each air barrier type.
After attending this seminar, you will be able to understand:
- The impact of air leakage on building enclosure performance
- Basic features of Self-Adhered air barrier systems (SA)
- Basic features of Fluid-Applied air barrier systems (FA)
- Basic features of Mechanically-Fastened air barrier systems (Building Wraps)
- Basic features of Spray Polyurethane Foams (SPF) and others (e.g. Board stock) air barrier systems
Target Audience: Architects, Design Professionals, Specifiers, Owners, Contractors, Code Officials, Building Envelope Consultants, and Students.
This program meets every experience level with time designed into the program for questions and answers