Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB - An integral part of a complete solution
If there’s one place people expect and deserve to feel protected, it’s inside the walls of a senior living community. That’s why Mirador Retirement Community turned to DuPont™ Tyvek® Weatherization Systems to help effectively seal the building envelope of its new residence in Corpus Christi, Texas. The Mirador project featured DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Weather Barrier (WB) System, which was integrated with DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® and DuPont™ Flashing Systems during construction to protect the building from the area’s coastal climate.
DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System offers the superior protection and industry-leading performance of DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap®. The product is fast and easy to apply on concrete and CMU, and boasts high vapor permeability, which made it an ideal choice for Mirador’s general contractor. Andres Construction Services used Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System to protect the building’s CMU block in the kitchen area and to bridge transitions between the CMU and gypsum-covered metal stud walls. The George D. Alan Company was the waterproofing contractor that provided installation.
“I valued the ability of Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System to maintain its thickness after drying, making installation easier and efficient,” said Chuck Newton of Andres Construction Services. “This allowed us to save time in our construction schedule”. Mike Deck, with The George D. Alan Company added “We were happy with the install and how Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System was a vapor permeable product to compliment the DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap®.”
Mirador’s architect, Hunt Fugate of Three Architecture, appreciated how easy it was to protect the varied substrates and transitions on the walls of the structure – a task that can often prove complex and time-consuming.
“Using the combination of Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System and DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® allowed us to quickly and effectively weatherproof each substrate type, as well as the transition between the two systems,” said Fugate. “We also liked being able to get all of our weatherproofing materials from DuPont – it was a ‘one-stop-shop’ that offered brand and warranty consistency,” he added.
To ensure the most effective installation, the construction team worked closely with members of the DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist Network, an elite team of highly-skilled field representatives unique to the industry, who offered on-site consulting and training.
KEY ADVANTAGES OF THE DUPONT™ TYVEK® FLUID APPLIED SYSTEM:
- Performance: Offers an ideal combination of air and water holdout with industry-leading vapor permeability of 25 perms.
- Ease of Installation: Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB—Single component, one coat application that may be sprayed or power rolled for fast and easy application.
- Enhanced Durability: Easily withstands high wind loads and offers nine months of UV resistance.
- Low Shrinkage: Exhibits extremely low shrinkage during cure reducing cracking and the amount of product needed to complete the installation.
- Elastomeric results: Provides excellent elongation and elastic recovery resulting in minimal cracking during thermal expansion and contraction of building components.
- Energy Efficiency: Controls air leakage and helps provide an airtight building enclosure, allowing for more energy-efficient structures by reducing the amount of energy required for heating and cooling.
- Excellent Coverage: Offers two-to-three times the coverage of competitive products – approximately 55 to 65 sq. ft. per gallon in one coat – saving time in the installation process.
- Indoor Air Quality: Provides protection from water accumulation in the wall system, which can lead to the growth of mold and mildew which can compromise indoor air quality
- Installation Flexibility: DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied products can be applied at temperatures as low as 25 degrees Fahrenheit and can be applied over damp surfaces. Will not wash off in rain while curing.
- Tyvek® Fluid Applied products may be over-coated and exterior insulation or cladding may be installed once a touch-free skin has formed. Skin time is 1-2 hours and fully cures in 24 hours at 70°F (20°C), 50% relative humidity.
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied products have low VOC’s.
- The Tyvek® Specialists Network and DuPont™ Certified Installers are available nationwide to provide on-site training and installation expertise.
- Air barrier assemblies made with Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB have air leakage rates significantly below ASHRAE 90.1 and IECC requirements even after the rigorous ASTM E 2357 test conditions.
- Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB is “ABAA Evaluated”.
- Tyvek® Fluid Applied System is backed by a 10-year product limited warranty.
THE DUPONT™ TYVEK® FLUID APPLIED AIR AND WATER BARRIER SYSTEM CONSISTS OF:
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Weather Barrier (WB)
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Flashing & Joint Compound
- DuPont Sealant for Tyvek® Fluid Applied System
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Flashing-Brush Formulation
DUPONT™ TYVEK® COMMERCIAL AIR AND WATER BARRIER SYSTEMS PRODUCTS USED ON THE MIRADOR PROJECT
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Weather Barrier
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Flashing and Joint Compound
- DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap®
- DuPont™ FlexWrap® NF
- DuPont™ StraightFlash™
- DuPont™ StraightFlash™ VF
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Tape