Commercial Building Wrap For Durability and Energy Efficiency
An air and water barrier made to stand up to the rigors of commercial job sites, with high tear-strength, durability, and up to nine months of UV resistance.
DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® building wrap is one of the easiest ways to make a significant difference in energy efficiency and overall building performance.
Three Key Advantages
Tyvek® CommercialWrap® can help in three vital areas, as part of a building envelope system:
- Controlling air leakage, which can impact the efficient operation of HVAC systems, costing the commercial building sector billions each year.
- Preventing water infiltration, which can reduce the effectiveness of insulation, and cause wood damage and corrosion.
- Allowing water vapor to escape when moisture does get in, letting wall systems dry, helping prevent mold, and protecting and improving building air quality.
A Barrier Against Wasted Energy
Between 30% and 50% of the energy consumed by commercial buildings is wasted. Tyvek® CommercialWrap® helps seal the building envelope from air infiltration and exfiltration, which helps reduce the energy needed for heating and cooling.
A 2005 National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) study showed that a properly installed weather barrier system can reduce building air leakage by as much as 85%, realizing up to 40% savings in natural gas and up to 25% savings in electricity annually.
Meet Changing Energy Codes and Standards Now
More and more, energy codes and standards recognize the importance of properly sealed buildings, and the impact on energy efficiency. DuPont Building Envelope systems help you meet ever more stringent energy codes, today and into the future.
An Integrated System
DuPont™ Building Envelope systems products integrate seamlessly, for more durable, comfortable and energy-efficient buildings designed for the needs of today’s commercial structures. By controlling airflow through the walls and holding out bulk water, while allowing interior moisture vapor to escape, Tyvek® CommercialWrap® can help reduce a structure’s operating costs, and increase energy efficiency over time.
The Science of Better Performing Buildings
The continuous, non-woven, non-perforated structure of Tyvek® CommercialWrap® enables four distinct barrier properties to help ensure comprehensive performance:
- Durability – Constructed of 7.1 mils of spun-bonded polyethylene, Tyvek® CommercialWrap® is both tough and tear resistant for the rigors of the job site. It’s designed to allow up to nine months of UV exposure.
- Air Resistance – By helping to reduce air infiltration and exfiltration, HVAC systems can operate more efficiently, reducing energy costs. Additionally, keeping air movement out of the wall system helps protect insulation from drafts, so it can perform to installed R-value, and reduce the energy needed for heating and cooling.
- Water Resistance – It offers superior bulk water holdout, which can keep insulation dry and performing to its installed R-value, as well as helping prevent costly wood and metal damage and mold.
- Vapor Permeability–By allowing interior water vapor to escape, it contributes to healthier indoor air quality by helping to prevent mold.
Whatever the Weather
The unique balance of properties provided by Tyvek® CommercialWrap® enables it to help improve building performance through all four seasons, and across a wide range of temperatures and climates.
Whatever the Wall
From stucco, stone, and marble to metal panels, brick, granite and EIFS (synthetic stucco), Tyvek® CommercialWrap® can be used with a broad range of wall substrates and wall assemblies to establish a highly efficient building envelope system.
The DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist Network is available to provide you with expert onsite advice from trained commercial specialists, on everything from selecting the right products for the job to ensuring correct installation from start to finish.
Benefits Add Up
By reducing airflow through the walls and holding out bulk water, Tyvek® CommercialWrap® helps increase building durability and energy efficiency, for cost savings over time.
In addition, Tyvek® CommercialWrap® may also contribute towards U.S. Green Building Council LEED® points. And Tyvek® CommercialWrap® is backed by a 10-year limited warranty from DuPont.
Building Science Leader Maria Spinu and Architect Benjamin Meyer at DuPont explain how to build an airtight building: by sealing the building envelope with a continuous air barrier system. Dr. Spinu addresses DuPont air barrier solutions for commercial and residential markets and their benefits: air infiltration resistance, water resistance and vapor permeability.
Additional Information (17)
- Installation Guides
- Commercial CAD Technical Drawings PDF
- Commercial CAD Technical Drawings DWG
- Brochure - Tyvek® CommercialWrap® (PDF)
- Commercial Products Brochure (PDF)
- Chemical Compatibility of Representative Building Sealants (PDF)
- Evaluation Report- Tyvek® CommercialWrap® - Sheathing Membrane - CCMC 13119-R (PDF)
- Evaluation Report - ICC-ES Report ESR-2375 - Evaluation Subject - DuPont™ Tyvek® Water-Resistive Barriers (PDF)
- Evaluation Report - Tyvek® CommercialWrap® - Air Barrier Material™ - CCMC 13253-R (PDF)
- Health Product Declaration: Tyvek® CommercialWrap® (PDF)
- NFPA 285 Compliant Wall Assemblies with DuPont™ Tyvek® Commercial Air and Water Barrier Systems (PDF)
- NFPA 285 Additional Manufacturer Testing - DuPont™ Tyvek® Commercial Air and Water Barrier Systems (PDF)
- NFPA 285 Navigating Wall Assembly Fire Testing - CEU (PDF)
- Understanding the Use of Air and Water-Resistive Barriers in NFPA 285 Compliant Wall Assemblies (PDF)
- Performance Specifications: DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® (DOC)
- Product Guide Specifications: DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® (DOC)
- Technical Data Sheet: DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® (PDF)
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- LEED® Certified Building
- Wall Sheathing Comparison
- Understanding Vapor Permeability
- Sustainable Buildings
- Protecting The R-Value Of Insulation
Protecting Foam Sheathing
Tyvek® weather barriers are a must to protect wall systems that include exterior foam sheathing from air and water infiltration.
- NFPA 285 Compliance
- Sustainable Building Products
- Design Without Compromise: Balancing Durable And Energy-Efficient Buildings
- Controlling Air Leakage
- Commercial Building Envelope Design
- Building Science Experts