A Durable, Waterproof Alternative to Wood Furring Strips
Choose furring strips made for durable performance and compatibility with DuPont™ Tyvek®, as well as other weather barriers.
The unique ventilated design of DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten furring strips helps prevent water damage and mold behind typical residential facades and claddings, such as siding, stucco, masonry and other exteriors.
When installed over a DuPont™ Tyvek® water-resistant barrier, RainVent™ Batten furring strips create an intentional ventilated airspace between the cladding and the sheathing, to improve drying and help reduce the chances of moisture damage and mold.
How It Works
In typical wood-framed wall construction, a DuPont™ Tyvek® weather barrier is installed over sheathing. DuPont™ RainVentTM Battens are installed over the Tyvek® WB. Polypropylene construction makes them more durable and less susceptible to water damage than wood furring strips.
The ventilated air space created between exterior cladding and wall sheathing allows air circulation vertically and horizontally, to help ventilate the air space to enhance drying and form a capillary break from sheathing.
Features and Benefits
DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten offers many advantages, including:
- Allows air circulation behind wood, stucco or stone masonry, vinyl, panel siding, and fiber cement cladding types.
- Provides a vertically and horizontally ventilated cavity to enhance drying, and a capillary break from sheathing.
- Moisture dissipates quickly, helping preserve wall sheathing and framing.
- Reduces mold growth and risk of water damage.
- Polypropylene construction ensures more durability and less susceptibility to water damage than wood furring strips.
- Light-weight and easy to install.
- Helps reduce degradation of exterior cladding.
- Eliminates the use of furring strips made with pressure-treated material.
- Stapled installation, so no expensive stainless steel fasteners.
- Compliant with Oregon Residential Specialty Code Section R703.1.
- Meets National Building Code of Canada capillary break requirement for high moisture index.
- Meets or exceeds applicable U.S. Building Codes.
Targeted Moisture Management
The Four D’s of water management in walls are: Deflection, Drainage, Drying and Durability. In climates where additional interior wall assembly drying is needed, DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten provides an optimal, more durable moisture management solution.
However, in regions that receive low-to-moderate annual rainfall, DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® with cladding provides a sufficient drainage plane for moisture penetration, to both drain and dry.
Support Throughout The Building Process
In addition to providing superior performance, DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten is backed by the quality, integrity and resources of DuPont, as part of a building envelope system, including:
- The DuPont™ Certified Installer Program, offering training and certification for installation contractors.
Support from the DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist Network. From the latest updates on building codes to on-site consulting and training on DuPont Weatherization Products, a local DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist can help you make sure the job gets done right.
The DuPont™ Tyvek® Architectural binder provides comprehensive information to help Architects and Builders in Specifying and Installing DuPont Weatherization Systems.
Additional Information (9)
- Architectural Binder: DuPont™ Tyvek®
- CAD: Residential Technical Drawings PDF
- CAD: Residential Technical Drawings DWG
- Installation Guides
- Installation Guidelines: DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten (PDF)
- Installation Drawing: DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten over OSB or Plywood with Wood or cement cladding (PDF)
- Installation Drawing: DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten over insulation and OSB or Plywood with Wood or cement cladding (PDF)
- Installation Drawing: DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten over insulation and OSB or Plywood with Stucco (PDF)
- Installation Drawing: DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten and OSB or Plywood with Stucco (PDF)