A Moisture Barrier Engineered For Enhanced Drainage
A vertically-grooved surface provides added protection against water, by enhancing drainage away from the wall assembly.
DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™ is a moisture barrier designed to provide enhanced drainage in areas subject to extreme, wind driven rain.
It combines the superior air and water resistance, vapor permeability and strength of Tyvek® with a vertically grooved surface, to help channel water safely to the outside.
How It Works
Tyvek® DrainWrap™ helps provide enhanced drainage behind claddings such as primed wood (all six sides), fiber cement siding, and foam board applied over flat substrates. Vertical grooves on the surface of Tyvek® DrainWrap™ make it a superior moisture barrier, engineered to channel bulk water away from wall systems and drain safely to the outside.
The unique material structure of Tyvek® DrainWrap™ helps hold out bulk water, while allowing water vapor to pass through it, promoting drying in the wall system, which can help prevent mold and water damage.
The unique non-woven fiber structure of Tyvek® DrainWrap™ also helps prevent air movement through the walls, contributing to a more energy efficient home.
Five Key Benefits
Tyvek® DrainWrap™ protects against water damage, and can help improve both comfort and energy efficiency, by providing five important benefits:
- High level of water resistance — to help protect the wall cavity from water that can get behind the cladding.
- The optimal level of vapor permeability — to promote drying in wall systems and help prevent rot and mold.
- High level of air resistance — to help prevent drafts, resist the flow of moisture-laden air though wall cavities, and ultimately help reduce energy bills.
- Durability — to withstand the rigors of the construction site, and provide the ability to maintain a constant drainage rate, even after repeated wetting and drying cycles.
- Improved drainage — to help guide water away from walls to the outside.
Benefits of Using Tyvek® DrainWrap™
Compared to other textured moisture barriers, Tyvek® DrainWrap™ provides superior performance in tests where bulk water was applied between a flat acrylic panel and the moisture barrier. When compared to Grade D building paper and #15 felt, Tyvek® DrainWrapTM provides superior sustained performance.
In addition, Grade D building paper wrinkles as it absorbs water, and experiences wetting and drying cycles. This can create dams that hinder water drainage. The chart shows the results of testing that compared drainage rates between Tyvek® DrainWrap™ and building paper after numerous cycles. The test was performed by introducing bulk water between a flat acrylic panel and the moisture barrier, and measuring the drainage rate after numerous wetting and drying cycles.
Installation Is Easier
Tyvek® DrainWrap™ is easy to install. It is pliable, so it wraps around corners with ease. And it is light weight, easier to handle, and faster to install. In addition, because it’s ﬂexible, DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™ easily interfaces at joints, and over architectural elements.
DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™ is available in 9- and 10-. foot width rolls for use behind a variety of claddings. This wide roll minimizes seams and offers the potential for reduction in labor costs, compared to narrower rolls.
Support Throughout The Building Process
In addition to its superior performance, Tyvek® DrainWrap™ is backed by the quality, integrity and resources of DuPont, the company that invented building wrap, including:
- The DuPont Certified Installer Program, offering training and certification for installation contractors.
- 10-year limited warranty from DuPont.
- Support from the DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist Network. From the latest updates on building codes to on-site consulting and training, a local DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist can help make sure the job gets done right.
Install DrainWrap™ under Rigid Foam Board
This is an animation of recessed window installation, rigid insulation foam board and DrainWrap™ over an OSB sheathing.
How to Install and Flash a Bump Out Window When Using DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™ Under Exterior Rigid Foam Insulation
Additional Information (10)
- Architectural Binder: DuPont Tyvek®
- CAD: Commercial Technical Drawings PDF
- CAD: Commercial Technical Drawings DWG
- CAD: Residential Technical Drawings PDF
- CAD: Residential Technical Drawings DWG
DuPont™ Tyvek® Building Envelope system Protects House From Extreme Weather.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
Tyvek® weather barriers are a must to protect wall systems that include exterior foam sheathing from air and water infiltration.