A House Wrap Engineered for Superior Performance
Unique material science helps prevent the infiltration of air and water, but lets water vapor escape to prevent rot and mold inside walls.
DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® is the original house wrap, incorporating unique material science that helps keep air and water out, while letting water vapor escape.
As a result, it can contribute to improved building durability by helping to protect homes against damaging wind and rain that can penetrate the exterior cladding.
Tyvek® HomeWrap® can also reduce home energy bills by controlling air flow and water intrusion, which helps insulation work better, allowing the HVAC system to work more efficiently. It’s a house wrap engineered to keep homes cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and dry all year round.
How It Works
The unique nonwoven structure of Tyvek® HomeWrap® makes it breathable, allowing moisture vapor to pass through. This helps promote drying in wall systems, to help prevent mold and water damage. In addition, Tyvek® HomeWrap® stops air movement through the walls, helping insulation perform closer to its full R-value, to provide a more energy-efficient home.
Not All House Wraps Are Equal
The superior performance of Tyvek® HomeWrap® is what separates it from other types of house wraps, as shown below.
Perforated house wraps require “micro-perforations,” or thousands of holes, to allow the product to breathe. While this can help keep moisture from getting trapped inside walls, it also gives water and air a way in. Perforated wraps give up a great deal of resistance to air and water penetration in order to achieve some level of vapor permeability. Water and air infiltration can lead to the potential for water damage and make insulation less effective, leading to higher energy costs.
Low Perm Microporous Film Wraps
A low perm, microporous film wrap is manufactured in a two-part process, where a coarse fabric backing with no protection for a building is laminated with a fragile film, in order to pass minimum requirements for water and air resistance. The film layer is delicate and routinely compromised in the real world through tearing and abrasion. These products can perform well in controlled conditions, but they are a problematic choice for real world workers and job sites.
DuPont™ Tyvek® WB is Very Different
The DuPont Building Envelope system consists of products specifically designed for proper moisture and air management within wall systems. Tyvek® WB is a uniquely engineered product made by spinning extremely fine high-density polyethylene (HPDE) fibers that are fused together to form a strong, uniform web. The tough structure of Tyvek® is engineered to create millions of extremely small pores that resist bulk water and air penetration, while allowing moisture vapor to pass through.
Ease of Installation
Tyvek® HomeWrap™ is easy to install. It is pliable, so it readily wraps around corners, interfaces at joints, and wraps over unique architectural geometries.
Light weight, easy to handle, and fast to install, Tyvek® HomeWrap® is available in 9-foot and 10-foot width rolls, to help minimize seams and offer the potential for reduction in labor.
Support Throughout The Building Process
In addition to its superior performance, Tyvek® HomeWrap® is backed by the quality, integrity and building science resources of DuPont, the company that invented the building wrap category, including:
- The DuPont™ Certified Installer Program, offering training and certification for installation contractors.
- 10-year limited warranty from DuPont.
- Support from the DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist Network. From the latest updates on building codes to on-site consulting and training on DuPont weatherization products, a local DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist can help you make sure the job gets done right.
This animation shows the proper installation of DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® OVER Rigid Foam Board. Detailed as an Air and Water-Resistive Barrier as seen with typical vinyl siding as a non-vented WRB system.
DuPont provides a product specific 10 year limited warranty on our weather barriers. Our national network of DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialists can answer all your questions regarding our products
Additional Information (10)
- Installation Guides
- Residential CAD Technical Drawings PDF
- Residential CAD Technical Drawings DWG
- DuPont Tyvek® Architectural Binder
- Evaluation Report - Tyvek® HomeWrap® CCMC 12808-R (PDF)
- Evaluation Report - Tyvek® HomeWrap® CCMC 12857-R (PDF)
- Evaluation Report - ICC-ES Report ESR-2375 - DuPont™ Tyvek® Water-Resistive Barriers (PDF)
- Health Product Declaration: DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® (PDF)
- Physical Properties Data Sheet: DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® (PDF)
- Product Guide Specifications: DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® (DOC)
Hurricanes no match for Tyvek®
DuPont™ Tyvek® Building Envelope system Protects House From Extreme Weather.
- Using DuPont™ Tyvek® for Residing Projects
- New House Protected by DuPont Building Envelope Products
- Project Profile: DuPont™ Weatherization Systems and Willowick Park Complex
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- Understanding Vapor Permeability
- Sustainable Building Products
Protecting Foam Sheathing
Tyvek® weather barriers are a must to protect wall systems that include exterior foam sheathing from air and water infiltration.
- Wall Sheathing Comparison
- Building Science Experts
- Sustainable Buildings
- LEED® Certified Building
- Building Envelope Testing
- DuPont Building Science Collaborations
- Air Barrier Association Evaluation
- Building Envelope CEU: Take our new video CEUs right from our site on NFPA 285 and Fluid Applied Air Barrier Membranes.
- Protecting The R-Value Of Insulation