Weather Barrier Systems Keep The Elements Out
Weather barriers can add lasting durability, comfort, and energy efficiency to the buildings you renovate.
DuPont™ Tyvek® weather barrier systems are designed to help wall systems stand up to wind-driven bulk water and resist air infiltration. But they are also vapor-permeable, to let moisture that does get into walls escape.
This balance of air and water protection with vapor permeability is a unique advantage of choosing Tyvek® weather barrier systems for residential or commercial construction and renovation.
Engineered for the Elements
While many building materials are water-resistant and air-tight, not all such materials are good weather-barrier choices. DuPont™ Tyvek® weather barriers are part of a complete system of DuPont products that work together to help create a continuous building envelope. Advantages can include:
- Protection against water infiltration.
- Better control of air flow.
- Improved energy efficiency.
- Prevention of rot, mold and mildew.
- Enhanced comfort and indoor air quality.
Even during construction, Tyvek® weather barriers are designed for performance. They offer outstanding UV and tear resistance on the job site. So there’s a better chance the installed weather barrier will perform as specified.
Many Systems, Many Applications
Tyvek® air and water barriers are engineered to work with a wide range of wall sheathings and substrates, to provide lasting protection. Wall barrier choices range from house wraps such as Tyvek® HomeWrap® for typical woodframe residential construction, to Tyvek® Fluid Applied for commercial buildings.
Protecting Buildings, People and Budgets
By protecting against air and moisture infiltration, DuPont™ Tyvek® weatherization products not only safeguard buildings, they can also help lower heating and cooling costs.
In addition, Tyvek® weather barriers help keep air and water out of walls while also letting any trapped water vapor that does get in escape, thereby reducing the risk of potentially costly wood rot and other problems, including mold growth.
Staying A Step Ahead Of Codes
As building and energy codes and standards continue to evolve, DuPont Tyvek® products help continues to provide architects and builders with building materials that help meet or exceed requirements.
Building Science Leader Maria Spinu and Architect Benjamin Meyer at DuPont explain how to build an airtight building: by sealing the building envelope with a continuous air barrier system. Dr. Spinu addresses DuPont air barrier solutions for commercial and residential markets and their benefits: air infiltration resistance, water resistance and vapor permeability.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- DuPont™ Tyvek® ThermaWrap® R5.0
- DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap®
- DuPont™ Sealant For Tyvek® Fluid Applied System
- DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap®
- DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® D
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB+™
- DuPont™ Residential Sealant
- DuPont™ Tyvek® StuccoWrap®
- DuPont™ Adhesive Primer
- DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™
- Tyvek® Tape: Seam Tape
- DuPont™ RainVent™ Batten
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- Sustainable Buildings
- Understanding Vapor Permeability
- Top Green Builder Media’s 2016 Readers' Choice Survey
- DuPont at the 2016 International Builders' Show
Commercial Specifications Resource Center
The following information is being provided as a resource for more information about the DuPont products listed in Product MasterSpec Section 072500 Weather Barriers and Section 072726 Fluid Applied.
- Building Envelope CEU: Take our new video CEUs right from our site on NFPA 285 and Fluid Applied Air Barrier Membranes.
- NFPA 285 Compliance
- LEED® Certified Building
- Building Science Experts
- Wall Sheathing Comparison
- DuPont Building Science Collaborations
- Sustainable Building Products