DuPont™ Corian® Solid Surface Used to Create Outdoor Spaces
Maple Avenue Park, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Joanne Hiromura, Principal Designer, Play Site Architecture
Bob Thorne, Industrial Design & Fabrication
Joel Miller, Fabricator, Sterling-Miller Design
Corian® Outdoor Spaces
Curved Corian® Material Outdoor Application
Building Blocks or Durable Surfaces?
- Creating an attractive, functional outdoor play space intended to resemble structures made from children’s building blocks.
- Selecting materials in colors that could fit aesthetically within the landscape of the neighborhood’s Victorian architecture.
- Finding durable materials that could provide lasting attractiveness in an outdoor play site.
- Finding a surface that is child friendly and resistant to water and graffiti—yet doesn’t feel like plastic.
- Selecting durable, renewable, non-splintering materials that can withstand an outdoor environment as well as children climbing, walking, sitting and sliding on the structures.
- Choosing materials to meet very specific architectural and fabrication criteria including curved designs, steel framework and no visible fasteners.
- DuPont™ Corian® solid surface met a wide range of visual and tactile specifications with an extensive color palette and smooth, touchable surface that doesn’t splinter or get too hot in the sun.
- Durable Corian® provided a child-friendly environment that was graffiti- and weather-resistant, renewable and repairable with minimal maintenance.
- Corian® simplified fabrication—with clean joints and connections and ability to accommodate curved forms—ultimately making this unique and structurally sound play space possible.
- Corian® is available in a wide range colors to enhance most any high-impact design.
- With its endless fabrication options, Corian® provides versatility unmatched by other surface materials.
- Corian® is extremely durable, stain- and fade-resistant and renewable—ideal for meeting the challenges of outdoor elements and heavy use.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Must be 21+ and a resident of the 50 US (including DC) and Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. Void where prohibited. Ends 12/2/14. For Official Rules, click here.