Global Operations Excellence Practice Leader, DuPont Sustainable Solutions
Brian Rains founded the Global Process Safety Management consulting practice within DuPont Sustainable Solutions in 2008. Now leading our Operations Excellence Practice, Brian works with manufacturing companies across multiple industries. His team focuses on improving financial performance by optimizing productivity, quality, yield and safety of its operations.
Brian and his team draw on a wealth of operational knowledge to help companies optimize assets to release locked value without major capital investments. Currently, they are working with oil and gas, chemical and natural resources companies to assess and manage operational risks and improve productivity. Their roster of clients include some of the top industrial companies in Russia, Turkey, Canada, China, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Morocco and the United States.
Areas of Specialization
- Operations productivity, including asset and energy efficiency
- Supply chain and integrated business management
- Process safety and operational risk management
- Employee engagement and capability building
- Leadership and managing processes
- Founded the Global Process Safety & Operations Risk Management consulting group within DuPont Sustainable Solutions (DSS).
- Doubled productivity at Singapore’s Adipic Acid Plant, while optimizing workplace safety—having no lost-work injuries for over five years.
- Former Director of the Singapore Chemical Industry Council and Chair of the Responsible Care Committee.
- His facilities consistently receive top industry awards for responsible care, safety and environmental performance.
Brian has a breadth of international operations experience, having been a DuPont plant manager in the United States, Spain and Singapore. Focused on oil and gas, chemicals, mining, metal and food processing, he has gained a reputation amongst his colleagues and industry groups as a leader in operations and process risk management.
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University
- Frequently speaks at trade conferences, including those hosted by the National Safety Congress, American Society of Safety Engineers, Center for Chemical Process Safety, Mary K. O’Connor Process Safety Center, Canadian Gas Association, ADIPEC, ABIQUIM, NFPA/AFPM, IChemE, MEPEC, APCChE and the Texas Chemical Council.
Brian has been with DuPont for over 30 years, joining shortly after completing his education. During the early stages of his career, Brian held positions in operations, research and development, product management and engineering. At that time, he was able to work across several DuPont businesses, including chemicals, apparel and fibers.
Brian is currently based in the United States. He is married and has three children and three grandchildren.