Global Solutions Architect, Sustainable Operations
J. Garrett Forsythe III is a Global Solutions Architect in the Sustainable Operations practice at DuPont. He is responsible for building and managing offerings in the areas of energy efficiency and asset productivity, to help clients lower costs and increase yields while reducing the environmental footprints of their organizations. This includes approaches that address leadership, organizational structure, and specific technical improvements and resourcing by DuPont experts.
Recent consulting engagements include helping several oil and gas clients improve their corporate, business-level, and site managing practices and systems for energy efficiency and environmental sustainability. Forsythe also assisted another client in setting up a comprehensive production system, including corporate centers of competency.
Areas of Specialization
- Sustainable operations, including energy efficiency, environmental excellence, asset productivity, maintenance and reliability, and production systems (technical and cultural)
- Client engagements, specifically within the oil and gas and the chemical process industries
- Connecting operational transformation to business value
- Implementing sustainable energy organizations and work processes at the corporate, business, and site levels, both within DuPont and externally with oil and gas industry clients, that achieved multimillion-dollar savings
- Helping to design the scope and front-end design of the first in-kind replication of the DuPont Production System at a major chemical processing company
- Having end-to-end involvement in energy management and sustainability projects in Canada, Russia and the US (gap analysis, scope development, project setup, content development, staffing, and project execution)
Garrett Forsythe brings over 30 years of experience with DuPont to his current role. He is a veteran in operations and business management, with expertise in product stewardship and environmental sustainability, capital project management, hazardous materials supply chain, and project and cost management.
Forsythe has significant exposure to global operations and recently served as the operations lead for a business divestiture to an Indian firm and as operations lead on several acquisitions in DuPont Sustainable Solutions. He has taught safety training while with the cyanides business in China, Singapore, and Spain, and throughout the US and Canada.
As an Operations Business Leader in DuPont, Garrett Forsythe gained intimate knowledge of end-to-end supply chain challenges and issues across a wide set of global businesses (5 separate supply chains across 30+ countries supporting nearly $300 million in revenue), including 20+ DuPont owned and contract operations.
He also led the formation of an SBU-wide energy improvement team that brought together the efforts of over a dozen plant sites under the leadership of an “energy champion,” which led to an 8% year-over-year cost improvement from 2008 to 2009, and another 5% improvement from 2009 to 2010, prior to joining DuPont Sustainable Solutions.
In addition, Forsythe led business operations implementation across several global businesses of end-to-end supply chains for the DuPont Production System and the DuPont Integrated Management System, based on Oliver Wight best practices.
- Extensive experience in line operations, business, sales, and marketing
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt
- Selected Executive training at Wharton Business School, USA
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, USA
During his career with DuPont, Garrett Forsythe has held a variety of operational, business, marketing, and sales roles. He started as a process engineer and then held increasingly more responsible roles in operations and technical management, including leading a high-hazards operations sodium cyanide team.
Forsythe understands the integration of operations discipline and continuous improvement from being a line manager (at several levels), as well as having global profit and loss responsibility as Global Business Manager for DuPont Oxone.
While working at the DuPont chemical plant in Memphis, he also led a project task team, which completed a US$20+ million capital project to upgrade the cyanide unit there.