Tomato late blight is a destructive and costly disease that too often results in reduced fruit size and lower overall tomato yields. Fortunately, DuPont Crop Protection has developed Zorvec™ disease control to help improve yields and the marketability of your tomatoes.
“Blight is a very aggressive disease,” says Célsio Rodrigues Pelosi, who works in new product development for DuPont Crop Protection - Brazil. He notes growers are looking for a product that works and offers them greater peace of mind.
“Both growers and consultants are very scared of blight because we know how aggressive it is,” explains Fábio Henrique de Oliveira, an agricultural engineer in Vargem Grande, Brazil. “I call it a wildfire: You can’t put it out.”
Tomato late blight – caused by the oomycete pathogen Phytophthora infestans – typically develops during wet and cool-to-mild conditions. Late blight infects the plant days before symptoms appear, first emerging on young plant leaves, and taking the form of black or brown water-soaked lesions on the surface. The disease is very contagious and spreads quickly, potentially leading to plant destruction only a few days after lesion presence. This means preventive measures are the most effective way to battle late blight.
Changing the Game for Tomato Growers
DuPont™ Zorvec™ disease control changes the game for growers, effectively combating tomato late blight across the globe.
Research shows Zorvec™ technology offers an unmatched combination of consistency and control that should help growers produce more tomatoes and more tonnage. In DuPont-sponsored field trials in Indonesia (2014), tomatoes treated with a tank mix of Zorvec™ disease control and mancozeb produced 35 tons (31,751 kg) of marketable fruit per hectare versus 17 tons (15,422 kg) with mandipropamid.
Zorvec™ disease control technology includes these key attributes:
- Multiple effects on the tomato late blight life cycle: inhibiting zoospore release and preventing germination; stopping mycelial growth; delaying further lesion growth; and inhibiting spore production and viability. However, Zorvec™ disease control is recommended for use in a preventive manner.
- Superior rainfastness, with absorption within 20 minutes after application, improving productivity, even under challenging environmental conditions.
- Systemic movement to protect the whole plant, including new leaf growth for better crop establishment.
- Longer application intervals: up to 3-4 more days of control vs. the longest competitive application intervals.
- A favorable toxicological and environment profile.
- A novel site of action and mode of action benefits, with no cross-resistance with existing fungicides.
- Excellent efficacy in the field, where trials have shown reduced crop damage and improved yield potential and marketability.
Talk to your DuPont Crop Protection representative to learn more about how Zorvec™ technology works and how it can prevent late blight to help you realize a more beautiful, marketable tomato crop