Vertak® bonding technology dramatically improves a display’s ability to withstand impact and harsh environmental extremes
In lab tests and in the field, DuPont™ Vertak® bonding technology has been shown to dramatically improve a display’s ability to withstand impact and harsh environmental extremes.
DuPont™ Vertak® bonding technology dramatically improved impact resistance over non-bonded displays in steel ball drop tests performed on notebook PCs. In fact, Vertak® bonding provided up to a 300% increase in impact resistance on sample notebook PCs.
- Metal ball drop tests used 1.5” diameter steel balls (225g)
- Ball drop height increased 2 inches with each drop until failure occurred
Scratch Resistance Tests
Vertak® bonding increased scratch resistance by 300% over non-bonded display surfaces in scratch tests.
- Pencil grades from 2H to 9H were selected and applied to Vertak® bonded and non-bonded LCD surfaces using sufficient pressure to allow the pencil lead to just crush
- Non-bonded LCD surfaces experienced scratches at 3H while the Vertak® bonded surface showed no marring or scratches up to 9H
Large displacements of the display glass can occur when notebook and tablet PCs are subjected to vibrations. Maximum displacements – where the rear of the LCD glass comes in contact with the backlight unit – can result in film damage and mura defects. DuPont™ Vertak® improved notebook LCD modules’ resistance to mechanical shock and vibration over non-bonded notebook LCD modules by 300% in testing.
- 13.3” notebook LCD module tested to measure center accelerations and displacements of the LCD glass with the module mounted
- Performance test evaluated differences in center accelerations and corresponding deflection due to input accelerations on non-bonded LCD module without cover glass substrate and with Vertak™ bonded 0.7mm and 1.1mm cover glass
Sunlight Viewability Testing
Traditional coverplates often are not treated with anti-reflective (AR) coatings and their multiple surfaces result in high reflectivity. By bonding the front, AR-coated substrate directly to the display, Vertak® bonding technology creates a single surface with low reflectivity and increases display contrast ratio by as much as 400% for optimum outdoor viewing.
For additional information on the DuPont™ Vertak® durability and viewability benefits, contact your regional representative.