Tyvek® Cargo Covers Perishables Technical Study
Evaluate the effect of Tyvek® Cargo Covers on quality & shelf life for air-shipped fresh green asparagus from pack out in South America through distribution and retail in the United States.
- Test sample – UK/US sized pallet protected with a Tyvek® Cargo Cover
- Control sample – no protection, industry standard
- Product temperature, air temperature and humidity measured continuously at strategic locations within pallet from pack-out through distribution. Average temperature is reported.
- Product quality and shelf life assessed at points throughout journey from pack-out through retail.
- Product quality measured on 5 point scale at 3rd party lab based on length, weight and appearance. Appearance factors were: decay, compact/open tips, tip softness, and color.
- Please see images on left
- The temperature and humidity management benefits of Tyvek® Cargo Covers delivered a 40% improvement in shelf life and substantially higher "as received" asparagus quality at the distribution center and retail levels
- Nearly a 90% reduction in heat history (time – temperature integral, where temperature >10°C) with Tyvek® vs control during transit
- 8 to 9°C (14 to 16°F) reduction in peak temperatures on tarmac vs control
- 4°C (7°F) reduction in peak temperatures during fumigation vs control
- Maintenance of desired high humidity environment during air transport vs 1.5% RH loss with control
- 40% extended shelf-life at the distribution and retail levels
- Significant quality improvement at the distribution and retail upon receipt of the product
- ZERO weight loss vs nearly 1.5% weight loss for the control pallet
Tyvek® Cargo Covers deliver significant increases in shelf-life and "as received" quality with no net loss in weight through transit.