DuPont Industrial Biosciences Profile
DuPont Industrial Biosciences works with customers across a wide range of industries to improve products and make processes more sustainable.
Through a unique combination of agricultural, biotechnology, chemical and material science capabilities, coupled with the power of 2,500 talented individuals worldwide, the organization focuses on providing biobased solutions to meet the needs of a growing population while protecting our environment. We create enzymes and other biobased inventions used by manufacturers to increase the productivity and environmental benefits of nearly 400 consumer and commercial products, such as foods, beverages, animal nutrition, textiles, household cleaning and fuel for vehicles.
- A leader in industrial biotechnology solutions with nearly 400 distinct commercial products
- 3,500+ owned and licensed patents and applications
- 2,500 employees worldwide
- Partnering with 50 universities to conduct research
- 19 operation sites including production facilities, operation centers and pilot plants
- 8 R&D centers globally
- Our technologies and innovations cover every aspect of the process, from development and fermentation to large-scale production and worldwide distribution.
- Designing and operating cell factories: 19 operatioins sites on four continents to ensure worldwide manufacturing capabilities for large-scale production and delivery of high value products for global applications.
- Large scale enzyme manufacturing: one-step scale-up from lab scale (14 liters) to industrial scale (350,000 liters).
- Enzyme innovation: discovery, development and application—3,600 approved or pending patents; over 100 new patents filed each year.
- Protein and peptide expression: systems for making virtually any protein or peptide at industrial scale through cost-efficient fermentation and state-of-the-art molecular tools.
- Protein engineering: enzyme performance optimized to customer applications.
- Metabolic pathway engineering: redesigning microorganisms’ pathways to optimize production of proteins and biochemicals.
- Fermentation, recovery, and formulation—full capability to develop an efficient process, from fermentor to product, for virtually any application.
- Materials science: Development and commercialization of high performance materials derived from renewable sources
- Cellulosic Ethanol: A key player in cellulosic ethanol commercialization, offering unique end-to-end expertise and turnkey solutions for the advanced biorefinery.
- Supply-chain excellence: global manufacturing and distribution infrastructure to ensure product quality and on-time delivery worldwide.
In May 2011, DuPont acquired a majority stake in Danisco A/S, including its Genencor division. Genencor and the DuPont Danisco Cellulosic Ethanol joint venture are now fully integrated within the DuPont Industrial Biosciences business unit.
Dupont Industrial Biosciences has consistently been honored with awards for technological excellence, business performance and culture. Recent accolades include:
- Frost & Sullivan’s “New Product Innovation Award" for Unique Animal Feed Additive that Combines Enzymes and Direct-Fed Microbials. (2015)
- Sustainable Bio Award for Bio-Based Product Innovation of the Year, in collaboration with Procter & Gamble (2014)
- Sustainable Biofuels Award in the Sustainable Feedstock Innovation Category for at World Biofuels Conference (2012)
- Sustainable Biofuels Technology Award at the World Biofuels Conference (2011)
- Frost & Sullivan’s “New Product Innovation Award for Enzymes for Biofuel Production” (2009)
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers’ “Sustainable Energy Award.” (2009)