Fresh Choices for Dairy and Cheese Packaging
There’s a DuPont packaging solution to match the many ways people like to enjoy cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products.
From easy-peel yogurt lids to deep-drawn cheese packaging, DuPont materials help keep dairy products fresh, flavorful, add shelf appeal and extend shelf life, by preventing mold and dehydration.
Proven Expertise and Solutions
Our deep portfolio of materials and proven technical expertise help brand manufacturers and converters create innovative dairy and cheese packaging solutions that:
- Deliver high hot tack strength
- Provide leak-free durability to reduce leakers in-store and at home
- Control gas exchanges to promote specific barrier properties needed to keep cheese and yogurt fresh
- Prevent mold deterioration, dehydration, and off-odor absorption
DuPont Packaging resins are often used in extrusion coating and laminating, helping make effective use of packaging roll goods such as foil, paper, nonwovens, OPET and OPP.
DuPont™ Elvax® for Block Cheese
DuPont™ Elvax® ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer uses low-temperature seal initiation to protect heat-sensitive products. Typical structures for packaging cheese blocks include polypropylene/Elvax®, nylon/Elvax®, and PET/Elvax®.
Elvax® advantages include:
- Good gusset caulking, due to good flow in heat seal process
- Low temperature seal
- Low softening temperature
- Excellent flex-crack resistance
DuPont™ Surlyn® for Processed Cheese
DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resin assures the highest possible seal integrity for processed and shredded cheese packaging. Typical packaging structures include top film and thermoformed bottom or deep draw VSP bottom formats.
How Surlyn® works in packaging structures:
- Surlyn® is generally used with nylon in the bottom forming web and with polyester in the top web. In both cases, it serves as the inner heat-sealing layer.
- Forming webs incorporating Surlyn® are highly conformable for intimate product contact and help maintain the barrier layer throughout the structure during thermoforming.
DuPont™ Appeel® for Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Spreads, and Ice Cream
DuPont™ Appeel® peelable sealant resins provide easy-to-open, strong, secure seals to prevent tearing and splitting of lidding. This provides peace of mind knowing that products will stay closed until the consumer opens them. Appeel® is used in easy-peel lidding for yogurt, butter, ricotta and cottage cheese, and ice cream.
An out-of-the bag technology enabling easier entry into the lidding market, Appeel® delivers production, point of sale, and consumer benefits:
- Can be used in blown film, cast film, extrusion coating and coextrusion processes on equipment designed for processing PE.
- Available in many grades that bond to multiple surfaces resulting in SKU reduction
- FDA approved for direct food contact
- Security of a hermetically sealed package that resists punctures and tears provides tamper resistant or tamper-evident peels for greater consumer protection
DuPont™ Bynel® and DuPont™ Selar® for Soft Cheese
Multi-layer packaging films provide better control for soft cheese barrier requirements such as maturation and weight loss.
An innovative paraffin-free solution for soft cheese packaging combines a DuPont™ Bynel® adhesive resin layer and DuPont™ Selar® barrier resins laminated on paper. Bynel® is used as a bonding agent and Selar® PA 3426 is an amorphous nylon resin that provides an oxygen and carbon dioxide barrier, as well as optical properties.
- Optimized cheese maturation
- Full control of the water vapor/oxygen/carbon dioxide gas exchange
- Product preservation without affecting flavor
- Ability to fine tune barrier properties of the structure to comply with weight loss requirements
Permeable packaging films made with DuPont resins are well-suited for soft cheese with surface mold. Bynel® is compatible with a wide range of processes, including extrusion coating, and features limited permeability to water vapor. And easy-to-extrude and thermoforming characteristics make Selar® PA 3426 ideal for use in both film and sheet.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
DuPont™ Surlyn® sealant resin provides excellent clarity, hot tack, heat seal, and toughness for packaging a variety of foods, as well as pharmaceuticals, household cleaners, and personal care products.
DuPont™ Elvaloy® for polymer modification is used to improve toughness in CPET and APET trays for frozen and refrigerated ready-to-eat meals, as a PVC plasticizer and as a compatibilizer in PET/HDPE recycling.
DuPont™ Nucrel® resin acts as a foil adhesive and heat sealant for beverage packaging, condiment and spice oil sachets, as well as non-food products including toothpaste tubes and cable shielding.
DuPont™ Nucrel® AE for LDPE extrusion coating improves foil adhesion when used as an LDPE modifier in pouches and sachets for food oils, snacks, and non-food products.
An Italian packaging converter uses DuPont™ Appeel® for a reliable, easy-to-peel, tamper-evident packaging solution for ice cream.
European packaging converter WipakGryspeert uses DuPont™ Bynel® in foam trays for a more efficient, flexible, and fresher packaging solution for meat, seafood and ready-to-eat meals.