Innovative Twists on Beverage Plastic Closures
From carbonated drinks to milk, juice, and bottled water, DuPont packaging resins provide excellent seals to keep beverages fresh, and flavorful while extending shelf life.
DuPont packaging resins allow beverage plastic closures and lids to seal tightly and open more easily.
DuPont™ Elvax® packaging resins maintain outstanding seals around the entire cap to preserve flavor and carbonation, prevent leaks, and provide clear evidence of any tampering. And DuPont™ Appeel® lidding resins provide strong, durable seals, yet remain easy to peel.
Drawing on its global expertise and long history of packaging innovations, DuPont works with packaging converters, manufacturers, and brand owners to match form and function in plastic closures for bottles and cups, from store labels to upscale water brands.
DuPont™ Elvax® for Plastic Cap Linings
DuPont™ Elvax® ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer resins are available in a wide range of packaging film and coating grades. Cap liners made with Elvax® deliver:
- Consistent hermetic seals for greater protection against leaks
- Better flavor preservation and carbonation retention due to good water vapor and gas barrier properties
- Tamper-evident protection for consumers
- Easy-open caps through the reduction of removal torque
- Prevention of unwanted tastes for longer shelf life and greater consumer satisfaction
- Easy processing at low temperatures results in trouble-free processing
- Cost savings compared to alternative compounded liner materials
With Elvax®, the bottle necks remain clean and clear. Unlike other compounded liner materials, Elvax® contains no mineral oil, which can mix with beverages and deposit a ring of unsightly brown residue on the inside of the bottle’s neck.
DuPont™ Elvax® for Metal Beverage Crowns
Elvax®-based applications also meet growing market demand for halogen-free and plasticizer-free liners in metal crowns used in bottling water and carbonated soft drinks. The benefits of using Elvax® are many:
- FDA approval for direct contact with food and beverages
- Tight and effective container sealing
- Easy processing (high productivity on SACMI molding lines)
- Excellent carbonation retention
- Consistent lot-to-lot quality
- Formula and performance approved for water and CSD
- Halogen-free compound
- No adverse after taste is transferred to the beverage, a particular concern for taste-sensitive bottled mineral waters
DuPont™ Appeel® for Easy-to-Peel Cup Lids
DuPont™ Appeel® peelable sealant resins combine tough, low-temperature sealability with excellent peelabilty and puncture resistance. Ideal for use in food service and frozen juice cups, Appeel® lidding resins provide:
- Tough, low-temperature sealability with excellent clarity, flexibility, and impact & puncture resistance
- Superior seal-through of liquid on cup rims to create strong seals that are easy to peel
- Easy processing at low temperatures, providing trouble-free processing of cup lidding
- One-bag convenience and consistency, assuring superior performance every time
Together DuPont™ Elvax® and DuPont™ Appeel® give beverage plastic closures and lids the sealing performance and integrity that everyone can raise a glass to.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
DuPont™ Surlyn® sealant resin provides excellent clarity, hot tack, heat seal, and toughness for packaging a variety of foods, as well as pharmaceuticals, household cleaners, and personal care products.
Elvaloy® Polymer Modifier
DuPont™ Elvaloy® for polymer modification is used to improve toughness in CPET and APET trays for frozen and refrigerated ready-to-eat meals, as a PVC plasticizer and as a compatibilizer in PET/HDPE recycling.
- Elvax® for Packaging
- Surlyn® for Blow Molding
- Surlyn® for Skin & Stretch Packaging
Nucrel® for Packaging
DuPont™ Nucrel® resin acts as a foil adhesive and heat sealant for beverage packaging, condiment and spice oil sachets, as well as non-food products including toothpaste tubes and cable shielding.
Nucrel® AE for LDPE Extrusion Coating
DuPont™ Nucrel® AE for LDPE extrusion coating improves foil adhesion when used as an LDPE modifier in pouches and sachets for food oils, snacks, and non-food products.
- Surlyn® for Extruded Shapes & Sheets
Surlyn® for Medical Device Packaging
DuPont™ Surlyn® for thermoforming film provides excellent clarity and formability, making it a cost-effective solution for sterilized medical device packaging.
- Elvax® for Industrial & Consumer Products
Nucrel® for Industrial & Consumer Products
DuPont™ Nucrel® acid copolymer resin is used in metalized building panels, water piping, cable shield and other industrial applications.
- Elvaloy® KEE for PVC Roofing
Elvax® EVA Copolymer Resin
DuPont™ Elvax® ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer resin combine stoughness and low-temperature sealability with excellent clarity, flexibility, and puncture resistance for a range of packaging and other applications.
- Wine Closures Replace Cork
An Italian packaging converter uses DuPont™ Appeel® for a reliable, easy-to-peel, tamper-evident packaging solution for ice cream.
Respiratory Drug Unit Dose Packaging
DuPont™ 20 series resins are proven for use in unit dose packaging for medications used for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma and listed in FDA Drug Master Files.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
EVA Plastic Production in China
To meet growing demand for high-performance specialty resins used in packaging, footwear, electronics, and more, DuPont has a joint venture for EVA plastic production in China.