Build a formulation with a naturally derived and mulit-functional ingredient having broad pH stability
It is essential to hydrate or swell SoBind™ Harmony soy polymers to obtain maximum functionality. This is typically done before introducing other ingredients in a formulation, or the soy polymer can be added as a premix. Once hydrated, SoBind™ Harmony can be one step in the formulation process or added as a premix either before or after other ingredients, depending on standard procedures, preferences, and processes
To hydrate SoBind™ Harmony, the combination of the following elements is recommended: temperature, pH, time, agitation (maintaining a vortex).
The following equipment is recommended to be used: stirrer (4 pale); heating & temp. control: jacketed beaker with steam line; or water bath, or heated plate. For homogenization: rotor stator ultraturax 20 000 rpm or Cuisinart Immersible Blender.
Usage guidelines: 0.5-6% . The higher % of SoBind™, the more effect on formulation viscosity is obtained.
- Start with clean distilled water.
- For best results, the soy polymer to water ratio should not exceed 16—20%.
- SoBind™ Harmony should be added under shear into existing vortex ( magnetic plates will not give sufficient mixing)
- The mixing speed should be adjusted according to the developing viscosity
- For best result use a jacketed beaker to provide even heating. Otherwise, use hot water bath
- For best result, use steam jacket to maintain and control temperature. Otherwise, use heated plate
- Use the appropriate mixer size and vessel size to prevent mixing air into the liquid and/or generating foam
- When preparing an emulsion , add SoBind as a premix to an oil phase at 40C for best stability
- Premix can be stored for short time (2 days) using one of the common preservatives used in Personal care
- Without preservation, use the SoBind premix within 24 hr
- Homogenization can be applied at any feasible step during processing.
- All preservative systems tested have been compatible.
Contact DuPont Soy Polymers to order a sample, receive formulating procedure , simple formula examples and other recommendations.