The Best Come Together for Firefighter Apparel
Firefighters need all the protection they can get. So when fabric made with Kevlar® fiber is engineered with Nomex® fiber, the result is excellent thermal protection, strength, and durability.
People all around the world depend on the bravery and training of firefighters to offer protection against fires. In turn, firefighters depend on firefighter apparel made with DuPont™ Nomex® and Kevlar® fiber to help them meet the demands of a rigorous and challenging job. Together, these innovative fibers help offer fire resistance, strength, durability, and more. Kevlar® is five times stronger than steel on an equal-weight basis, yet fabrics can be lightweight, comfortable, and thermally protective. It helps enhance the overall durability and strength of lightweight turnout gear outer-shell-and-thermal-liner systems. And Nomex® fiber is inherently flame resistant, tough and flexible.
- Nomex® fiber carbonizes and thickens when exposed to the intense heat of today’s fires. This increases the protective barrier between the heat source and the user, helping to reduce burn injury and providing valuable time to work or escape.
- When fabric made with Kevlar® fiber is engineered with Nomex® fiber or used with another blend, it can help to further enhance tear strength and abrasion resistance of outer shells protecting the moisture barriers and thermal liners inside.
- Garments made from Nomex® fiber last, on average, two to three times longer than most other standard and protective fabrics, including 100% cotton, polyester/garment blends, and FR cotton.
- Per garment manufacturers, the average wear life of Stationwear made of Nomex® is about five years, and it can be washed and worn at least 125 times, making it an affordable choice.
Product Data Sheets (4)
INFORMATION & IDEAS
NFPA 2113 Overview
NFPA 2113 specifies the minimum selection, care, use, and maintenance requirements for flame-resistant garments for use by industrial personnel in areas at risk from flash fires or short-duration flame exposure that are compliant with NFPA 2112.
- Constant Innovation Keeps Us Safe
- Kevlar® Dare Bigger™ Moments: Globe
- Webinar: FR Garments: New research uncovers that fabric choice can be the most important factor
- Webinar: FR Garments - Launderability and the Impact on Protection
- Webinar: How much is your FR garment costing you really