A High-Performance Foil Adhesive and Heat Sealant
DuPont™ Nucrel® provides excellent adhesion to metal with low-temperature seal-through-contamination properties ideal for packaging products from condiments to juices and aseptic milk to pharmaceuticals and personal care products.
DuPont™ Nucrel® ethylene acid copolymer resin provides an outstanding, chemically-resistant metal bond, making it a reliable, cost-effective foil adhesive for a range of applications. Nucrel® bonds to the oxide layer on the aluminum and provides strong bonds that are resistant to attack by mild to moderate acids and bases.
Versatile Performance Properties
Besides foil, Nucrel® can adhere to paper in extrusion coating, nylon in coextrusion, and can be extruded or injection molded at slightly lower processing temperatures than polyethylene (PE).
Nucrel® is also an excellent heat sealant, with hot tack strength and seal through contamination properties that allow for reliable heat seals at high packaging machine speeds. Other performance properties include toughness, light weight and durability in aggressive chemical (e.g., acetic acid) environments.
Proven in a Variety of Applications
As a foil adhesive layer, Nucrel® is used in:
- Juice and aseptic milk packaging, where it resists mild acids in the liquids for a shelf life of up to one year
- Condiment sachets, where it protects both sides of the foil from aggressive acids like vinegar found in ketchup and other condiments
- Snack structures such as biscuit can liners
- Toothpaste tubes
- Typical Grades include: Nucrel® 3990, 30907, 0411HS, 0910HS
As a heat sealant or heat sealant backing layer, Nucrel® is used in:
- Spice oil sachets, where it provides fast, low-temperature, seal through oil contamination, and resistance to swelling
- Tea bags, where it provides moderate hot-tack to make hermetically sealed, individually wrapped bags
- Sachets for alcohol swabs and towelettes
- Condom pouches
- Typical Grades include Nucrel® 3990, 30907, 0903HC, 0910HS, 1202HC
Nucrel® is also used as a coextrusion interlayer between DuPont Surlyn® ionomer resin and PE or other materials for processed meat packaging.
The Chemistry of Nucrel®
Nucrel® resins are branched copolymers of ethylene and methacrylic or acrylic acids. Acid side chain branches bring unique functionality to these highly polar resins, while long chain branches make these resins easy to use in producing blown and cast films, as well as extrusion coatings and laminations.
Nucrel® HS (High Stability/High Speed) grades for extrusion coating allow for high-speed processing due to improved thermal stability, are capable of running at thin coating thickness, and support better processes and enhanced performance by reducing crosslinking issues.
Nucrel® HC (High Clarity) film grades provide very low haze and high gloss for applications which require see-through packaging.
The Benefits of Nucrel®
For converters with extrusion capabilities, Nucrel® is a cost-effective foil adhesive solution. It allows for high-speed extrusion coating and lamination, resulting in fewer package failures, which helps reduce waste. And unlike chemical primers and adhesives, Nucrel® resins provide adhesion without the inconvenience and rate limitation of applying and drying an adhesive solution.
Product Data Sheets (17)
- Nucrel® 0403 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0407HS Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0411HS Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 06098HSA Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0902HC Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0903 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0903HC Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0908HS Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0910 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 0910HS Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 1202HC Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 3990 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 3990L Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 30707 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 30907 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® 31001 Datasheet (PDF)
- Nucrel® AE Datasheet (PDF)
Additional Information (8)
- Disco Purge Guide (PDF)
- Nucrel® Overview (PDF)
- Disco Purge Resin Transition for Blown Film (PDF)
- Disco Purge Resin Transition for Cast Film (PDF)
- Disco Purge Resin Transition for Extrusion Coating (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Blown Film (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Cast Film (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Extrusion Coating (PDF)
Foam Packaging Alternative
Coldpack’s Airliner thermally insulated pouch is a foam packaging alternative for shipping temperature-sensitive products, made with three DuPont resins.
Ceramic Packaging for Meals
French ceramic container maker Poteries Malicornaises uses DuPont™ Nucrel® in ceramic packaging to successfully seal and protect ready-to-eat meals.
Salonpas Foil Packaging
Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co. uses DuPont™ Surlyn® in its foil packaging to prevent delamination caused by the active ingredients in its Salonpas pain relief patch.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
Anti Static Additives
The direct-feed anti static additives (DuPont™ Entira™ AS resins) can protect packaging aesthetics from dirt and dust pickup, and can reduce static-related hazards in industry.
- Meat Packaging Solutions for Converters
- Shelf Stable Fruit Juice Package
Sealant Selector Tool
DuPont Sealant Selector Tool takes the mystery ouf of selecting the right packaging sealant.
Flexible Packaging Films SaVE Tool
The DuPont Packaging Sealant Value Estimator (SaVE) helps brand owners and converters evaluate the total costs of flexible packaging that relies on sealing solutions to help protect the contents.
Tie Resin Selector Tool
To help packaging manufacturers choose their best tie resin, DuPont has created a tie resin selector tool.
- Packaging Breakthrough Groups
- Polymer Testing and Packaging Tools
- Packaging Prototypes
- Plastic Processing
- End-to-End Packaging Development
- Six Top Packaging Design Ideas