Play Better with Surlyn® Golf Ball Resin
DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resins are used as a material in the golf ball cover and mantle of balls.
DuPont has been helping advance golf ball performance ever since the first cut-resistant ball, with a cover of DuPont™ Surlyn®, was introduced in the mid-1960s. Today, nearly all major ball makers use Surlyn® or blend it with other materials to tailor ball performance inside and out, from the golf ball mantle to the cover.
DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resins are a family of high-performance ethylene copolymers containing acid groups partially neutralized using metal salts such as zinc, sodium and others. The result is an ionically strengthened thermoplastic with enhanced physical properties versus conventional plastics. The DuPont manufacturing process for Surlyn® enables highly tailored combinations of properties: outstanding resilience, broad hardness and stiffness range, and excellent resistance to cuts and abrasion - all highly desirable for golf ball mantle and cover applications.
Surlyn® ionomers can be melt-processed using conventional injection molding and compression molding methods and equipment, to create parts of various designs and gauges. Because of their performance properties and processing versatility, Surlyn® resins have been widely adopted, in neat or blended form, as premium materials for golf ball mantle, intermediate layers, cover and other components.
To meet golf manufacturer needs, DuPont offers more than 20 commercial grades of Surlyn®, plus a number of grades developed to meet confidential requests.
Product Data Sheets (19)
- Surlyn® 7940 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8150 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8320 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8528 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8660 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8920 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8940 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8945 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9020 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9120 Datasheet (PDF)
Additional Information (10)
- Disco Purge Procedure (PDF)
- Surlyn® Extrusion Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Moisture Protection (PDF)
- Surlyn® Molding Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Property Grid (PDF)
- Surlyn® Safe Handling (PDF)
- Surlyn® Troubleshooting Guide (PDF)
- Typical Properties of Surlyn® (PDF)