Proven, High-Clarity Thermoforming Film for Sterilized Packaging
DuPont™ Surlyn® is the basis for a widely used thermoforming film for packaging medical devices that require sterilization.
DuPont™ Surlyn® resins are used in thermoforming film to enhance the formability of co-extruded thermoforming webs and help ensure medical device packaging is clearly visible and sterile.
Medical device packages are typically made using a thermoforming web process, which creates a cavity for the device, and often uses a Tyvek® lid sealed to a transparent bottom made of thermoformed film that both shows the device and preserves its sterility.
Excellent Deep Draw for Uniform Thickness
Formability is essential to maintain thickness in the corners of the package; otherwise, splitting and pinholing can occur during shipping and handling and result in unusable products.
Surlyn® provides excellent deep-draw characteristics, which help in uniform thickness distribution. Composite structures incorporating Surlyn® have shown more uniform draw and a lower frequency of thin spots than other composites, which can help reduce waste and lower costs.
High Gloss and Clear Transparency
The high-gloss, clear transparency of Surlyn® assures that medical devices will be clearly visible through the thermoforming film packages, making it easier for healthcare providers to reach for the right device. And Surlyn® adds a high-quality touch to the packaging.
High Performance in Thermoforming Web Process
Surlyn® has an ionomeric cross-linked structure. When used in thermoforming web process, its performance properties include:
- Fast infrared heat absorption for even temperature distribution
- High melt strength at usual forming temperatures
- Low crystalline characteristics
Helps Keep Medical Devices Safe and Sterile
By using Surlyn® in thermoforming film, manufacturers and healthcare providers reduce product waste due to fewer punctured packages, and they help increase patient safety by ensuring the packaging keeps medical devices sterile.
With its proven reliable performance, Surlyn® sets the standard for thermoforming film used in thermoformed packages for medical devices.
Product Data Sheets (35)
- Surlyn® 1601 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1601-2 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1601-2LM Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1605 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1605SBR Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1650 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1650SB Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1652 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1652SB Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1652SR Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1702 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1705-1 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1706 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1707 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1802 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1825 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1857 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1901 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 2601 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® 2601B Datasheet (PDF)
- Cost Saving Super Tough Surlyn® (PDF)
- Disco Purge Procedure (PDF)
- Reduce Packaging Sealing Failures Technical Sheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® Chemical Resistance (PDF)
- Surlyn® Fastening Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Moisture Protection (PDF)
- Surlyn® Molding Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Grades Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Property Grid (PDF)
- Surlyn® Safe Handling (PDF)
- Surlyn® Troubleshooting Guide (PDF)
- Typical Properties of Surlyn® (PDF)
Gaplast GmbH uses DuPont™ Surlyn® in its innovative bag-in-bottle for fragrance packaging to increase product purity and support greater design freedom.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
DuPont has a proven history of driving practical, scalable solutions for sustainable packaging based on full life cycle assessment and business-driven collaboration with customers worldwide.
DuPont™ Surlyn® delivers the strength, stiffness, and extrudability film converters require for packaging downgauging and to optimize use of petroleum-based materials.
DuPont innovations help manufacturers and designers create cost-effective, environmentally friendly packaging solutions.
DuPont works with converters and brand owners to develop energy saving packaging solutions, from making production and shipping more efficient to reducing power costs.
DuPont collaborates with customers on efficient packaging that protects products by developing optimal packaging that maximizes effectiveness and environmental efficiency.