Thermoplastic composite materials for a wide range of applications
DuPont™ Vizilon® thermoplastic composite (TPC) is a family of lightweighting solutions that includes continuous fiber reinforced composite material with a polyamide matrix, overmolding resins and the enabling technologies, such as computerized part design, assembly technologies and automated processing support, which are critical to achieve breakthrough high-volume composite adoptions.
Available as continuous glass fiber-reinforced laminated sheets, Vizilon® TPC thermoplastic composite offers mechanical properties superior to injection-molded reinforced thermoplastics, thanks to the higher residual length of its glass strands. Vizilon® TPC has the strength of steel at just one-quarter the density.
Laminated sheets made with Vizilon® TPC can be stamped or thermoformed into various shapes. Shaped parts can then be overmolded with additional resin for added stiffness and to allow for part integration. Trim waste can be ground and effectively reused as a reinforcing ingredient for injection molded plastic grades. As a substitute for metals in structural applications, Vizilon® thermoplastic composite helps reduce weight and simplifies assembly, which can help reduce production costs.
Vizilon® TPC is well-suited for transportation applications where the goal is higher fuel economy through vehicle lightweighting.
DuPont™ Vizilon® TPC can offer these and other advantages in a range of applications:
- Superior strength versus most metals
- Thermal expansion properties similar to steel
- Compatibility in multimaterial construction
- Significantly less creep than short-fiber resins
- Significant weight reduction
- Superior thermal aging properties
- Cold (-40°C) to High (150°C) continuous temperature resistance
- Compatible with on-line painting process
- Greater design versatility
DuPont by Your Side
Thanks to our advanced computer-aided engineering (CAE) capabilities, DuPont can simulate the performance of Vizilon® TPC in many circumstances. Our resources can help you successfully integrate lightweight thermoplastic composite parts at the design stage to realize all the strength, durability and weight savings Vizilon® TPC can bring to a variety of applications.
- Consumer Electronics
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- DuPont™ Vizilon® Thermoplastic Composite Enables Design of Strong High-Temperature Composite Honeycomb Panels
- Vizilon® TPC Offers Lightweight Strength in Oil Pan Engineering Challenge
Automotive Composite Materials & Vehicle Stiffness Requirements
This presentation reviews automotive composite materials and how they can improve stiffness, reduce weight and require less design space.
- Vehicle Lightweighting Advances with Thermoplastic Composites
- Reducing CO₂ Vehicle Emissions with Composites
- Thermoplastic Composite Materials Reduce Vehicle Weight
- Fuel Efficiency Standards 2017-2025: Will They Change?
- CAFE Fuel Economy 2025: Multi-Material Solutions
- CAFE Regulations 2025: Will Today’s Materials Get Us There?
- CAFE Standards: Technologies to Meet Them
- CAFE 2025: Rising to the Challenge
- Lightweight Materials Key to Meeting 2025 CAFE Standards