Every year, industrial fires and electric arcs kill or severely injure hundreds of industrial workers—injuries that could be minimized or avoided altogether if workers were wearing flame-resistant (FR) garments.
Fires are unpredictable. They can last for three, four, five seconds—or longer. A matter of seconds can mean the difference between minor burns and life-threatening injuries. An FR garment helps protect the wearer from the heat and flames of industrial fires and electric arcs. It also provides valuable seconds for escape.
A leader in FR protection
For more than 40 years, protective apparel made from DuPont™ Nomex® brand fiber has helped provide superior thermal protection from flames, industrial fires and electric arcs. The unique molecular structure of Nomex® makes it inherently flame resistant. Manufacturers use Nomex® in their garments to help protect workers in the electric utility, industrial electric and petrochemical industries. Professional firefighters, race car drivers, U.S. military personnel and NASA astronauts also wear garments made with Nomex® fiber.
Nomex® fiber helps garment manufacturers provide outstanding thermal performance because Nomex®:
• Is inherently flame resistant.
• Does not burn or melt and drip.
• Provides permanent protection that won’t wash out or wear away.
• Helps minimize break-open.
• Maintains a stable, inert barrier between the fire/arc and skin, helping to protect the wearer from direct exposure.
• Forms a tough, protective char when exposed to flame.
• Meets the ASTM F1506 standard for workers’ apparel as protection from electric arc exposure.
• Is certified to NFPA 2112.
Durability and cost effectiveness
Garments made of Nomex® provide an outstanding wear life and can contribute to bottom-line savings by being:
• Extremely durable and resistant to abrasion, tears and chemicals.
• Longer lasting than other protective fabrics, including flame-retardant treated (FRT) cotton, providing excellent value.
Nomex® enables garments that are:
• Lightweight, highly breathable and designed to help wearers feel cool and dry.
• Available in a variety of fabric weights to suit any climate.
• More comfortable to wear by reducing static cling.
Garments made with Nomex®:
• Are available in a wide range of colors and styles.
• Retain a professional appearance.
• Are easy to launder, exhibit low shrinkage and rarely need pressing.
• Provide permanent protection that cannot be washed out or worn away.
The information set forth herein is furnished free of charge and based on technical data that DuPont believes to be reliable. It is intended for use by persons having technical skill and at their own discretion and risk. Because conditions of use are outside our control, DuPont makes no warranties, express or implied, and assumes no liability in connection with any use of this information. Nothing herein is to be taken as license to operate under or a recommendation to infringe any patents or trademarks.