Protection Against Fire Hazards with Nomex® III A
At DuPont, we believe the standard for safety should always be a higher standard. So we engineered Nomex® III A to help give workers dependable protection against fire hazards.
Fires are unpredictable — situations can change in an instant with temperatures reaching 1900 degrees F, leaving workers vulnerable to serious injury. So for hazards like flash fire and pool fire, DuPont created Nomex® III A. A blend of 93% Nomex® with 5% Kevlar® and 2% antistatic fiber, this innovative fabric helps minimize break-open, and expands to form a stable and inert barrier between the fire and skin. This gives wearers the valuable seconds they need to escape from the hazard.
But comfort and fit are also an essential part of safety. In collaboration with manufacturers and mills, DuPont strives to help them make significant fabric improvements -- providing lighter weights, wicking finishes, and breathability.
At DuPont, innovation means testing beyond the basics with state-of-the-art technology like Thermo-Man®, one of the most advanced life-size thermal burn injury evaluation devices in the world today. The research and data DuPont scientists have collected have enabled them to improve upon the possibilities of Nomex® III A garments.
Additional Nomex® fabric considerations:
- Widely used by petroleum, petrochemical, chemical, and utility industries, as well as firefighters
- Inherent thermal protection that cannot be washed away
- Durable and resistant to abrasion, tears, and chemicals
- Meets the NFPA 1975 standard for firefighters’ stationwear
- Meets the ASTM F1506 standard for workers’ apparel as protection from electric arc exposure
- Complies with NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- Complies with NFPA 2112 Standard on Flame-Resistant Garments for Protection of Industrial Personnel Against Flash Fire
Product Data Sheets (4)
- Nomex® Helps Refinery Worker Escape Flash Fire (PDF)
- DuPont Personal Protection Thermal Technical Bulletin (PDF)
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- 2014 FDIC Prize Winner
Thermal Regulations Overview
DuPont offers an overview of the typical regulation hazard codes and the leading thermal regulations impacting personal protective equipment (PPE).
Durability and Lifecycle of DuPont™ Nomex®
Durable, inherently fire-resistant Nomex® fiber has an excellent wear life and helps contribute to bottom-line savings.
What Keeps You Safe?
“What Keeps You Safe?” PPE videos from DuPont show how heroes in firefighting, military, law enforcement, and emergency response rely on DuPont invention and innovation.
NFPA 2113 Overview
NFPA 2113 specifies the minimum selection, care, use, and maintenance requirements for flame-resistant garments for use by industrial personnel in areas at risk from flash fires or short-duration flame exposure that are compliant with NFPA 2112.
NFPA 2112 Overview
NFPA 2112, the standard on flame-resistant garments for protection of industrial personnel against flash fire, provides minimum requirements for the design, construction, evaluation, and certification of flame-resistant garments for use by industrial personnel.
Flame-Resistant Technologies – FRT vs. Inherent
What are the differences between “inherent” and “treated” flame resistant fabrics? Learn how each fabric reacts when exposed to heat, and when flame-resistant properties can be removed.
DuPont™ Nomex® Industrial Brand Preferred Program
Information on the DuPont™ Nomex® Industrial Brand Preferred Program.
DuPont™ Nomex® Sales and Support
Customer service information for DuPont™ Nomex®.
- Webinar: FR Garments: New research uncovers that fabric choice can be the most important factor
- Webinar: FR Garments - Launderability and the Impact on Protection
- Webinar: How much is your FR garment costing you really