The Ideal Seam Tape for Tyvek® Weather Barriers
Choose the best seam tape for sealing DuPont™ Tyvek® weather barriers against air and water in both residential and commercial construction.
Finish the building envelope with a superior seam tape – DuPont™ Tyvek® Tape. It helps to create a continuous building envelope system which keeps water and air out. Benefits can include not only better building durability but improved energy efficiency through reduced air leakage.
Effective Material Science
Tyvek® Tape is strong, easy to use, and highly waterproof. It is constructed of an oriented polypropylene film, coated with a specially formulated permanent acrylic adhesive to create the best adhesion between seam tape and DuPont™ Tyvek® weather barriers.
Improved Energy Efficiency
From a single family home to an office tower, air and water infiltration can make insulation significantly less effective, heating and air conditioning more costly. Tyvek® Tape contributes to energy efficiency by helping to seal the building envelope, which controls air flow and water intrusion in the wall assembly.
As part of an overall building envelope system with other Tyvek® materials, seam tape can:
- Allow systems to meet requirements of ASHRAE 90.1 and IECC Air Leakage Requirements, when tested in accordance with ASTM E2357.
- Allow systems to meet requirements of Wisconsin Energy code (ASTM E1677 and/or ASTM E23571).
- Help contribute towards LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) points.
How It Works
Using DuPont™ Tyvek® Tape to seal seams in the weather barrier after wrapping is the best practice for achieving maximum benefit of an air and water barrier to protect the building envelope. Our seam tape also features a specially engineered adhesive that offers the outstanding adhesion to DuPont™ Tyvek® weather barriers.
- Qualification of Tyvek® Tape from DuPont as compliant to the Canadian Construction Materials Centre Technical Guide for Sheathing Tape (CCMC 07281) testing standard.
- Support from the DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist Network. From the latest updates on building codes to on-site consulting and training on DuPont weatherization products, a local DuPont™ Tyvek® Specialist can help you make sure the job gets done right.
Building Science Leader Maria Spinu and Architect Benjamin Meyer at DuPont explain how to build an airtight building: by sealing the building envelope with a continuous air barrier system. Dr. Spinu addresses DuPont air barrier solutions for commercial and residential markets and their benefits: air infiltration resistance, water resistance and vapor permeability.
This animation shows the proper overlap and installation as a water and air barrier with key areas highlighted at window/door head, Tyvek® seams and other key areas.
Additional Information (7)
- Architectural Binder: DuPont Tyvek®
- CAD: Commercial Technical Drawings PDF
- CAD: Commercial Technical Drawings DWG
- CAD: Residential Technical Drawings PDF