An Ionomer Resin Providing Clarity, Toughness, and Versatility
DuPont™ Surlyn® is a leading choice for food, cosmetic, medical device, and skin and stretch packaging— as well as in golf balls and industrial applications.
Known for its outstanding clarity, toughness, and light weight, DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resin is a reliable, cost-effective solution for a range of innovative packaging and other applications.
For food packaging, Surlyn® provides low-temperature seal initiation, excellent hot tack strength, and puncture resistance. It seals through contaminants, helps reduce leakers, and increases line speeds.
For cosmetics and medical device packaging, it provides clarity, formability, and scratch resistance. It is an attractive, lightweight alternative to clamshell and blister packaging.
Surlyn® is also used as the surface layer for golf balls, ski boots, and overmolded bottles. Its processing options include blown film, cast film, sheet, extrusion coating, and injection molding.
Surlyn® ionomer resin is available in a variety of grades, including some that help downgauge multi-layer structures and optimize material usage. Surlyn® also contributes to sustainability efforts by helping reduce waste by providing packaging integrity.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
DuPont™ Surlyn® sealant resin provides excellent clarity, hot tack, heat seal, and toughness for packaging a variety of foods, as well as pharmaceuticals, household cleaners, and personal care products.
DuPont™ Surlyn® PC injection molding resin and unique Surlyn® 3D overmolding technology offer glass-like clarity and unparalleled design freedom for rigid cosmetic jars and perfume bottles.
DuPont™ Surlyn® extrusion resin provides toughness, durability, and abrasion and chemical resistance for demanding applications, including shock tubes for mining and construction to snowshoes and wake/bodyboards.
DuPont™ Surlyn® blow molding resins provide high gloss, scratch resistance, pleasant touch, and squeezability to cosmetic bottles and transparent tottles for lip gloss.
DuPont™ Surlyn® for thermoforming film provides excellent clarity and formability, making it a cost-effective solution for sterilized medical device packaging.
Surlyn® Reflections high gloss resin is a thermoplastic alloy made up of ionomer and polyamide, enabling manufacturers to mold tough and durable, high-gloss parts that require no painting.
USES AND APPLICATIONS
DuPont™ Surlyn®, Nucrel®, and Selar® for beverage packaging preserve freshness and offer more convenience for consumers.
DuPont resins offer limitless shapes and visual effects for cosmetic packaging design, so brand owners, converters, and equipment manufacturers are limited only by their imaginations.
Enhance consumer packaging shelf appeal with lightweight, cost-effective DuPont™ Surlyn® for skin and stretchpackaging films, a great alternative to blister and clamshell packaging.
Polymers and additives for flexible and rigid PVC modification.
Create highly filled polyethylene-based wood polymer composites that retain their integrity through freeze/thaw cycles while meeting the rigors of heavy traffic.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
The DuPont Packaging Sealant Value Estimator (SaVE) helps brand owners and converters evaluate the total costs of flexible packaging that relies on sealing solutions to help protect the contents.
DuPont works with converters and brand owners to develop energy saving packaging solutions, from making production and shipping more efficient to reducing power costs.
DuPont™ Surlyn® delivers the strength, stiffness, and extrudability film converters require for packaging downgauging and to optimize use of petroleum-based materials.
DuPont innovations help manufacturers and designers create cost-effective, environmentally friendly packaging solutions.
DuPont collaborates with customers on efficient packaging that protects products by developing optimal packaging that maximizes effectiveness and environmental efficiency.
DuPont Sealant Selector Tool takes the mystery ouf of selecting the right packaging sealant.
Coldpack’s Airliner thermally insulated pouch is a foam packaging alternative for shipping temperature-sensitive products, made with three DuPont resins.
Toolmaker Greenfield Industries meets retailer demand for space-saving skin packaging by using DuPont™ Surlyn® and high-speed packaging equipment.
Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co. uses DuPont™ Surlyn® in its foil packaging to prevent delamination caused by the active ingredients in its Salonpas pain relief patch.
DuPont offers several polymer impact modifier technologies that can be used for toughened nylon, increasing low-temp. impact properties with good adhesion to nylon.
“The best ideas stem from collaboration around global challenges and we want to bring that environment to Chicago,” said William T. Cunningham, P&IP packaging director, North America.
DuPont Packaging Asks: ‘Are You Paying too Much for Your Packaging?’
Product Data Sheets (46)
- Surlyn® 1601 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1601-2 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1601-2LM (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1605 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1605-SBR (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1650 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1650-SB (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1652 (PDF)
- Surlyn®1652-SB (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1652-SR (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1702 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1702-1 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1705-1 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1706 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1707 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1802 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1825 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1857 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 1901 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 2601 (PDF)
- Surlyn® 2601-B (PDF)
- Surlyn® 6320 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 7940 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8020 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8150 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8320 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8528 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8660 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8920 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8940 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 8945 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9020 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9120 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9150 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9320 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9520 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9650 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9720 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9721 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9910 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9945 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® 9950 - Industrial (PDF)
- Surlyn® E185-SB (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC-100 (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC-350 (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC-2000 (PDF)
Additional Information (27)
- Reduce Packaging Sealing Failures Technical Sheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® Reflections Molding Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Chemical Resistance (PDF)
- Surlyn® Extrusion Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Molding Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Grades Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Troubleshooting Guide (PDF)
- Cost Saving Super Tough Surlyn® (PDF)
- Surlyn® Safe Handling (PDF)
- Disco Purge Transition Procedure for Blown Film (PDF)
- Disco Purge Transition Procedure Cast Film (PDF)
- Disco Purge Transition Procedure for Extrusion Coating (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Blown Film (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Cast Film (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Extrusion Coating (PDF)
- DuPont™ Surlyn® Grade Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Reduce Packaging Sealing Failures (PDF)
- Surlyn® Fastening Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Moisture Protection (PDF)
- Surlyn® Product & Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties and Performance Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Grid (PDF)
- Surlyn® Reflections Coating Guide (PDF)
- Typical Properties of Surlyn® (PDF)