To date, DuPont has achieved the following milestones:
- Eliminated the use of long-chain PFAS from our products and processes, including recently integrated operations at the end of 2019.
- Eliminated the purchase and use of PFAS-based firefighting foams at many of our sites and are on track to eliminate the purchase and use of all PFAS-based firefighting foams by the end of 2021 (where legally allowed).
- Providing $6 million of unrestricted research funding over the next 3 years to the National Science Foundation (NSF) to fund innovative PFAS remediation technologies. The NSF recently requested proposals for novel PFAS research as part of this initiative.
- Providing open-source access to technical guidance documents on how to use DuPont and other manufacturers resin technologies for PFAS remediation.
- Enabled access to DuPont’s proprietary product stewardship software to organizations including the Berkeley Center for Green Chemistry, Beyond Benign, Rutgers and others. To make this software broadly accessible to others seeking to guide assessment of chemical alternatives in their operations, we intend to launch the Chemical Awareness Toolkit at the ACS 24th Annual Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference on June 15 – 19, 2020.
- Partnering with ERM, an accredited third-party expert and leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services to review our handling of substances of current and emerging concerns to further improve our processes and protocols.